Last night, The Style Eater embarrassingly brought it to my attention that I hadn’t blogged since the end of November. Oy vey. After we baked this GLORIOUS Black & Blue(berry) crumble pie for our weekly Gossip Girl tea party (and yes, it is as cute a ritual as it sounds), Janelle and Xtina and I started gushing over our favorite bloggers, and even scoffing at other life-ruiner bloggers whilst secretly really wanting their button-ups. This was about the time I had to hang my head in shame for my absence. Although, the last thing I left you with was a .gif of A.Skars’ nakey little bottom, so you’re welcome. But, with school apps out of the way and me just sitting around playing the horrid waiting game, this is pretty lamesville on my part. I blame Netflix; so many bad movies to watch instantly, so little time. So, I please beg of you to forgive my tardiness BUT seeing as how it is still January, I think I can (shamefully) get away with a Best of 2010 list. Right? Anyone? Bueller?
OH HAI! Also! Coachella lineup was released finally. What do we think about it? I’m not as excited as I was about last year’s but this shiz is selling out like crazy! Pre-sale tickets, camping passes, and VIP passes have already sold out in record time. what the eff? I blame KROQ. They need to stop S-ing Chella’s D right now so I can find me some frakkin housing for the weekend. Just had to vent a little, sorry. The inevitable Coachella artist preparedness posts will come later.
On to the the main event!
Top 10 of 2010:
10. Beach House – Teen Dream I have seen this band more times than I can keep track of, but I keep going back from more. I don’t know if it’s the dreamy quality of the music, Victoria’s scratchy, sexy vocals, or the many memories with great friends I have associated with Beach House songs that keeps me coming back. The only important thing, though, is that I keep returning.
Beach House – Take Care (mp3)
9. Broken Social Scene – Forgiveness Rock Record BSS will always be a forever favorite. This band is forever in my top 5. Even though, this album is not their crowning jewel it still has some really great moments.
Broken Social Scene – Texico Bitches (mp3)
8. Joanna Newsom – Have One On Me I am completely obsessed with Joanna Newsom. I love everything about her. From the fact that she plays a harp to her boyfriend (Andy Samberg) to the mythical elf she sometimes resembles to her epic albums that recall a different era.
Joanna Newsom – ’81 (mp3)
7. Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Yeezy may be the most self-involved, egotistical genius out there, but he definitely proves his brilliance again with MBDTF. Kanye wins, once again it’s all about him, but this time we’re not complaining because the result is so enrapturing. He even does a couple tracks with Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon. what the what.
Kanye West – Runaway (mp3)
6. Angus & Julia Stone – Down The Way These two are what brother-sister musical duo dreams are made of. When we saw them play at the El Rey, Julia brought out Damien Rice to cover a song from Grease with her. uhhh I die. How can you not love them?
Angus & Julia Stone – Big Jet Plane (mp3)
5. LCD Soundsystem – This Is Happening Oh James Murphy, this album makes me want to dance my freakin pants off. A+.
LCD Soundsystem – All I Want (mp3)
4. Tame Impala – Innerspeaker Australian dreamboats that play psychedelic rock that instantly transports you to the 60’s and makes you want to trip on acid? sign me up.
Tame Impala – Why Won’t You Make Up Your Mind (mp3)
3. The Head and The Heart – The Head and The Heart 2010 was THATH’s year, the little indie band from Seattle that took the world by storm in such a short amount of time. They had me at first Hallelujah, and now that they have been recently signed to Subpop, the days that I could see these lovelies playing in a friend’s living room are definitely numbered, if even a possibility anymore. This band has so much heart and so much talent that I couldn’t be more happier about the amazing things coming their way (like tours with Dr. Dog and Iron & Wine, having Dave Matthews as their biggest fan, opening for Vampire Weekend and so on and so forth. NBD). Can’t wait to see what else they have in store for us.
The Head and The Heart – Ghosts (mp3)
2. Local Natives – Gorilla Manor (technically this came out in 2009, but it didn’t have an official US release until 2010 so we’re going with it) Local Natives can do no wrong basically. this album was on repeat for months.
Local Natives – World News (mp3)
1. Arcade Fire – Suburbs Seeing this band live this year was a dream come true. They were one of the last bands on my list of “artists I need to see before I die” and they surely did not disappoint. S. Tan even got to touch Win’s sweaty arm as he ran by us. WIN WIN.
Arcade Fire – Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) (mp3)
I didn’t go too much into why I love these albums because I have pretty much been raving and rolling about them all year anyways. Who the heck wants to hear that twice?
Ps. I got to babysit this little nugget / ruler of kittehs today. Jealz?
On a related note, isn’t catpaint the most amazing app you’ve laid eyes on??!